Courses for Academic Credit

Graduate Certificate in Railroad Engineering

Students with an earned bachelor’s degree and experience with engineering and stress analysis are qualified to enroll in this innovative graduate-level railroad engineering certificate.  Each course takes place during the regular 15 week semester during the Spring term and the Fall term.  To earn the Graduate Certificate students must complete a minimum of three (3) of the graduate courses below.

  • CIEG618 Railroad Engineering [course description]  offered every Fall, online
  • CIEG617 Rail Safety and Derailment [course description]  offered every Spring, online
  • CIEG614 Railroad Geotechnical Engineering [course description] offered every Spring, online
  • CIEG667 Project Engineering for Rail/Transit [course description:Provides an overview of project management and construction engineering skills required for rail and transit operations. Includes effective management strategies, cost estimation and cost control, planning and scheduling, value engineering, condition assessment and infrastructure asset management. ]

Undergraduate Course Offerings

For railroad professionals who may not yet have earned a bachelor’s degree, there are undergraduate level courses available.  Each course takes place during the regular 15 week semester during the Spring term and the Fall term.  All courses listed below are available fully online.


This category of education is not academic credit based, but instead carry Continuing Education Units (CEU) credits. Courses range in length from a day to a week and can be given via Zoom, on UD’s Newark DE campus, or onsite (for specific organizations).

Topics include:

  • Introduction to Railroad Engineering
  • Railroad Safety and Derailment Prevention
  • Rail Problems and Maintenance/Grinding
  • Application of Emerging Data Techniques in Railway Maintenance
  • Continuously Welded Rail/Rail Neutral Temperature
  • Intro to Railroad & Transit Systems for Non-railroad Professionals

Need more information?

Please contact